Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout


The limited release from Lagunitas Brewing, Cappuccino Stout.  Purchased in a 22oz bomber bottle, just came in the other day, so it's not gonna get much fresher than this.

Pours into my snifter glass a dark brown color, but not quite black.  Very dark and murky, but not quite opaque either.  The foam is subtle at first, but with a little swirl in the glass, a strong one-finger head arises.  This time the foam lasts a fairly long time, a dark tan/mocha color.

The aromas are quite different than what I expected!  There is very little coffee or cappuccino in the aromas.  I'm actually getting a slight hint of hot peppers, as in jalapenos.  It's really quite odd, because it's not a strong smell at all.  More like you you had jalapeno poppers for dinner, and your fingers still smell of them after washing your hands.

After taking a sip, the Cappuccino Stout is still surprising me.  There's just a slight hint of hops, with a nice dry finish, but very smooth.  There still isn't much cappuccino or coffee jumping out at me though.  The Cappuccino Stout reminds me of a slightly smoky version of the Oatmeal Stout from Stoudt's.  

Overall, I'm completely confused on this one.  The Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is not very "stout-ish" nor very "cappuccino-ish".  It's quite drinkable, and very smooth, but just not what I expected it to be.  I'm going to have this one again soon, to make sure I'm giving it a fair shot.

Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout
TCSH Rating:  6.5/10
Aka - Good, but not exciting at all

Eli
Bibo ergo sum

No comments:

Post a Comment