Sunday, July 29, 2012

Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

Here I am with my obligatory "sour beer week continues" message.

Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales (yes, that's right "Artisan Ales"; they only brew ales, no lagers) is out of Dexter, Michigan and seems to specialize in sours, based on what I've heard.

This was my first beer from them, and they are not available in Texas. Hopefully this "Artisan Amber Ale" delivers.

La Roja pours brownish red, I guess that's amber, from the 750 mL bottle and has a nice khaki cap for a head. The aroma is sour, mild fruitiness, and has some sweetness from the barrel blended ales that ranged from two to ten months of aging. The taste is a lot of the same, sourness and hints of fruit and a very subtle sweetness. I might not have a lot to say, but that doesn't mean that I haven't saved the best sours for last.

La Roja coats the mouth with a lovely, prickly sourness and has a fair amount of carbonation in the mouth, expected for the style, and has a pleasant sweet and sour finish that really makes you wish the bottle weren't empty.


Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
La Roja Artisan Amber Ale
TCSH - 9.5/10
Aka - Fantastic American sour, with a cat pirate on the label. Cannot lose.

Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment