Thursday, July 26, 2012

Goose Island Juliet

Today I look at an American sour after doing quite a handful of Belgian sours. This is none other than Goose Island Juliet, one of the Three Sisters (a series of sour beers aged on different fruits). Fermented with Brett, and aged in cabernet barrels on blackberries, Juliet shows a lot of promise, so I hope she does not disappoint me. Hopefully I will get to try the other two.

Juliet pours hazy orange with hints of purple and a super tiny white head. I actually really like the slight purple tinge to the beer, really sells the beer. The smell is straightforward, but amazing: sourness, a nice vinous character from the barrel aging, and some blackberry notes. The taste follows the nose with lots of sour fruitiness and a nice blackberry profile that is both a little sweet and a bit tangy.

Not thick, but not watery, Juliet is refreshing, with a nice sour astringency and a fair amount of mouth-carbonation. Available in 22 oz bottles, I know this one is expensive, but worth it. I would love to try a bottle that has been aged a few years, if anybody can wait that long to drink it.

Goose Island Brewing Company
Juliet
TCSH - 10/10
Aka - Almost worth killing yourself over...

Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment