Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shipyard Brewing Pumpkinhead Ale

So if you've been following my blog, or drinking with me, you know the arrival of pumpkin beer is one of my favorite times of year. So, over the next few days, let's take a little tour of the pumpkin beers available in New England. Tonight's brew: Shipyard Pumpkinhead

The Pumpkinhead is a brew I've had a few times now. And every time I open one, I set standards high, but I truly WANT to love it. One of, if not THE most popular pumpkin beer on the market, the Pumpkinhead comes in 12 oz bottles, available in 6 and 12 packs.

The Pumpkinhead pours a light amber color, with just a slight little touch of opacity. The foam is strong at first, almost pure white in color, but fades very quickly.
In the nose, there is a slight hint of pumpkin, but definitely not in your face. I'm also picking up a whole lot of nothing else. I'm sadly reminded of the simple and non-complex smell of a Coors original.

So once I take a sip, I'm getting more complexity than expected. It's not really a pumpkin flavor coming through, but more of just a slightly more full-bodied light beer. There is just the slightest bit of spice coming through as the brew warms up a bit. I'm still not really getting much pumpkin, even close to room temperature. Over all, the Pumpkinhead reminds me of something between a Coors original and a Bud light lime.

Shipyard Brewing Pumpkinhead
TCSH rating: 4/10
Aka - it's got alcohol, that counts for something, right?
Eli
Bibo ergo sum

No comments:

Post a Comment