Saturday, July 16, 2011

Stone San Diego County Session Ale

San Diego County Session Ale

A collaboration brew from Stone Brewing, Ballast Point Brewing, and Kelsey McNair, a home brewer.  This is a beer that never really made it to my area of Connecticut, but we had a few bottles from a store in Massachusetts.  This was brewed and released about a year ago.  I’m curious to see how they’ve held up.

The twelve ounce bottle releases a little bit of a “pop” as I break the seal.  The brew pours out a great golden-straw color, with a bit of haze.  Plenty of carbonation makes for a bright white foam, that lasts quite a long time.  The lacing is mild, but sticks forever.

Just as I pour the Session Ale, I can already smell the hops.  Of course I’m not surprised, considering Stone is involved.  The nose reveals an interesting combination of light citrusy hops, as well as more in-your-face bitter hops.  I let the beer warm a little bit and swirl is quite strongly, because I’m trying to find something else in the nose to describe.  After several minutes, the only thing I can smell is still the hops!

When I take a sip, the hop complexity changes a little.  The nose was dominated by the citrusy hops, but the palate is dominated but the rough and aggressive bitter hops.  This beer is over a year old, and it feels like it was bottled yesterday.  The bitterness of the hops is mouth-filling, and almost mouth-numbing.  I take a few sips, swirl it in my mouth, and I’m going to walk away for a few minutes to see if it changes at all…

As it warms up, and I come back for  a few more sips, the San Diego Session Ale has definitely opening a little. The hops is not quite as mouth-numbing.  Or maybe my mouth is numb, and I can’t tell that it is still super hoppy.  I think this may be one of the most hop-intense beers I have ever tasted.  That is to say, I’ve tasted really hoppy, bitter beers before, but they usually have more of a subtle malty backbone.  This San Diego Session Ale is hops, hops, and more hops. 

I can understand that the lower-than-average alcohol content, 4.2%, makes this a bit of a session ale.  However, as a malt-man, I could not possibly drink more than one of these.  As a matter of fact, I only poured myself half a bottle, and I’m seriously considering not finishing it.  I’m not saying it’s a bad beer at all, but it is nearly 100% the exact opposite of my preferred style.

Stone Brewing/Ballast Point Brewing/Kelsey McNair- Homebrewer
San Diego County Session Ale
T.C.S.H. Rating – 7/10
AKA – There’s not a lot going on, just lots and lots of hops!


"Bibo Ergo Sum"

No comments:

Post a Comment