Saturday, March 12, 2011

Braida Bricco dell' Uccellone 2005


The flagship of Giacomo Bologna, the single vineyard, old vine Barbera d'Asti "Bricco dell' Uccellone" 2005.  Tonight I'm enjoying this in a half-bottle, because the 2005 is only available in half-bottles, and I'm ready to try this vintage.

The vineyard got its name from Giacomo because of the old lady that used to look over the vineyards from her nearby balcony.  As the story goes, she was a very tall older woman, always dressed in black, and "Uccellone" in Piemontese means "old crow" or "old bird".  Bricco, in northern Italian dialect means "hill-top," so literally the name of this wine translates to Hilltop of the Old Crow.  (There's also a darker translation to this name, but you'll have to ask me in the store for that story.)

Giacomo Bologna was a pioneer in northern Italian wine-making.  Before his time, Barbera was a cheap, plentiful, lunch-time wine; much like the inexpensive jug wine you see in the wine country today.  Giacomo thought he could make more serious wine with such a grape.  He spent years trimming back vines, reducing yields, and increasing quality.  Combined with more modern wine-making techniques, aging, and a passion for wine, Giacomo created some of the best wines northern Italy has to offer.

This 2005 Bricco dell'Uccellone does not disappoint!  As soon as I uncork the bottle, the aromas fill the air.  I'm getting bright aromas of cherry and red fruit, as well as subdued vanilla and other spices.  The nose is rich, but soft, and I'm having a very hard time not taking a sip immediately!  As I swirl the wine, I'm getting some darker fruits, and deeper aromas, maybe a slight hint of chocolate and/or coffee(?).

Once I take my first sip, I remember why I love Braida wines so much!  For a Barbera, the Uccellone is extremely rich and full, but still so smooth and elegant.  There is not an over-powering aspect whatsoever.  The mouthfeel is fantastic, silky smooth tannins cover my palate, with a long-lasting finish.  The bright fruit is perfectly balanced with richness, and the acidity is perfect for this extremely generous and complex wine.

Giacomo Bologna passed away far too young, but his legacy lives on in his family and wine.  Salud!

Giacomo Bologna "Braida" 
"Bricco dell' Uccellone" 2005 Barbera d'Asti
TCSH Rating - 10/10
Aka - Perfection in a bottle, I'm not sure it can get any better than this!

Oh, and just for the record, the 2005 Uccellone was a Tre Bicchieri award winner.  Not bad for a 'cheap, lunch-time wine.'

Eli
Bibo ergo sum

No comments:

Post a Comment