Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Dogfish Head Red and White

After a great deal of mixed emotions, I'm sitting down tonight with the Dogfish Head Red and White. I say mixed emotions because there has been very little hype about this beer, yet its very hard to find. I've had a few other brews with the grape-juice concept, some have been great (Otter Creek QVH) some have been mediocre.

The Dogfish Red and White starts out as a Wit-style, they then add some pinot noir grape juice, ferment again, and age a small percentage in used pinot noir barrels. So I say again, mixed emotions.

The Red and White pours into my glass almost glowing of reddish/orange/amber color. It is seriously one of the most uniquely colored beers I've ever seen. Its not clear, but not really cloudy either. Its dark amber in color, but almost brightly hued (if that's possible).

The foam is prominent at first, but probably from my vigorous pour. The foam dissipates quickly, leaving a very mild lacing on the glass.

Once I take a sip, I'm very, very intrigued. The Red and White is extremely smooth and drinkable, yet fairly bold and complex. With each smell and sip, I'm getting hints of new layers. For the most part I think its much more "beer-like" than I had expected. Very subtle flavors of pinot noir fruit, but if I were not a wine drinker they may have gone unnoticed.

As the beer warms, more flavors and aromas appear. Hints of orange, maybe red berries, as well as some mild spices like clove and cinnamon. I'm really having a hard time putting my finger on everything that's going on here.

At the very least I need to have another one of these Red and Whites with company. I think if Matt and I were both sampling we could help each other figure out what's going on here.

Dogfish Head Red and White
TCSH Rating: 8/10
Aka- I'm intrigued, let's have another

Eli
Bibo ergo sum

No comments:

Post a Comment