Friday, February 8, 2013

Santa Fe Imperial Java Stout

 Hey guys, it's been a while. I know I made a few promises back in the fall about beer reviews I would post and blah blah blah. Well, as you can see, I didn't keep those promises. I'm sorry. But here I am now, and I've got another beer review for you.

Some, very few, of you know that I am in Chicago for brew school. Yes, I am learning to be a professional brewer. No, this is not a conflict of interest. It's been very interesting and intense so far. But good.

On to the beer, I guess. Let's see if I can still do this.

Today I am presenting you the Imperial Java Stout from Santa Fe Brewing Company out of Santa Fe, New Mexico. Yes, it comes in a can. No, that is not a bad thing. The craft beer movement is directed toward cans for certain styles, and the aluminum can provides some benefits against bottles. If you're curious, feel free to ask me about it.

Looking at the can, Santa Fe clearly boasts about the coffee in the beer with its "before noon" side (left picture). Their boast is not a bluff, there is a lot of coffee in this beer. Upon opening the can the smell of fresh brewed coffee pours out from the hole. Once poured into the glass, the beer is a dark ruby with a small light beige head. It isn't as dark as one would hope, but it still looks in line for the "imperial stout" style.

On the subject of this beer being an "imperial" stout, it is only 8%. That isn't very "imperial" but I suppose it is "out of style" as one brewer described what makes a beer "imperial." No complaints. The aroma is straight and solid coffee. That is it. Very one dimensional, but not bad. Not bad at all. And, as expected, the taste follows suit with solid and straight coffee.

Imperial Java Stout verges on a thick, full bodied mouth feel, is smooth in all ways, and has a soft, lightly fizzy mouth carbonation to keep your mouth interested so you don't otherwise get tired of the coffee. This brew (pun) finishes with a coffee bitterness bite, as expected. If coffee is your thing, this is definitely a must try. If coffee isn't really your thing, you might wanna skip this one.

Imperial Java Stout
Santa Fe Brewing Company
TCSH - 8/10
A.K.A. Worth a try, the company is solid.

-Dallas


No comments:

Post a Comment