Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Zoetzuur

One more entry for Sour Beer Week, again on the road (this time in Milwaukee, WI. The funeral is Wednesday, that is tomorrow). Today I present to you a "Flemish Ale." I suppose this is somewhere between a red and a brown, of the Flemish variety (of course), and there really isn't much else for me to say. If I remember correctly, this was brewed in collaboration with Michael Jackson's (the beer hunter, not the pop star) Rare Beer Club to celebrate something, I do not remember what, exactly.

Zoetzuur comes in a 750 mL bottle, corked with new cork (which is rubber) and caged. It pours out reddish brown, almost ruby colored, with a large khaki colored head. The aroma is vinous, grapes and hints of actual wine, and has some wild yeast funk to it. Somewhat reminiscent of a Belgian style ale, but is lacking in that particular sour character.

Taste is sour, thankfully, and has some grape and cherry notes to balance along with the funkiness. Zoetzuur is medium bodied, and very smooth with some soft carbonation to allow for a lingering finish that is a little woody, sour, and funky.

At first I did not like it too much, but as I drank it certainly grew on me. And the 7% ABV was quite well hidden.

De Proefbrouwerij
Zoetzuur Flemish Reserve Ale
TCSH - 8/10
Aka - Solid sour, but I'd rather drink others...

Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment