Saturday, July 14, 2012

Caduceus Cellars Anubis 2007


So, I am taking a break from reviewing beer to comment on what is probably one of the best wines I have had recently, or ever. Caduceus Cellars is a vineyard out of Cornville, Arizona, along side a mountain, and is branded "Red Wine from the Desert." All this is in addition to the fact that the founder of Caduceus is the front-man of some of my favorite bands: Tool, A Perfect Circle, and Puscifer. So turn on one of my favorite songs by Maynard James Keenan ("Sober" - Tool) and enjoy this brief commentary.

I split this bottle with a few friends and owe much thanks to my friend Ross for giving this to me as a college graduation present. I would be almost nothing without him. Without a doubt, Anubis pours out a lovely dark red, much like grape juice or blood, and has lovely alcohol legs on the glass.  Anubis is a blend of several of their other wines over at Caduceus Cellars, and the aroma is well rounded with notes of currants, sweet tobacco, as perhaps a fine pipe blend, and hints of anise or licorice. Taste is much of the same, a pleasant fruitiness with a bold mouth-feel.  The finish is silky smooth with a tiny bit of a tannic bite that lingers for a short while.

Unfortunately Caduceus wines are often quite expensive and very hard to come by, but they are a splendid offering made from Arizona vines. I wish I could keep a few bottles around to special occasions.

Caduceus Cellars
Anubis 2007
TCSH - 9.5/10
Aka - "Why can't we not be sober... Why can't we drink forever?"

Dallas 

No comments:

Post a Comment