Saturday, June 2, 2012

iGreco "Masino" Nero di Calabria

Among dozens of new beers lately, I thought it was about time to sit down and have a glass of wine.  Jeff from Vinifera Imports was at the store today to do a tasting so the iGreco Masino is what I've got in my glass this evening.

The iGreco Winery is a relatively small, family-owned business in southern Italy, Calabria to be more specific.  They are widely considered both THE #1 family producing the best wines with indigenous varietals, as well as one of the best producers of fine Italian Olive Oil. We've been carrying several of the iGreco wines in the store for some time now, but this "Masino" is new to me.

The "Masino" Nero di Calabria is (from what I can figure) is the same grape as Sicilian Nero d'Avola.  I've also seen at least one reference calling the grape "Calabrese".  In any case, the wine is distinctly a darker shade of red. The aromatics are very nice, some subtle dark fruit with just a touch of soft spices in the background.

On the palate, the iGreco Masino is full of deep, dark fruits and generous complexity! Distinctly dry and earthy, what I would consider "very nice" acidity balances the heavy fruit perfectly. This is bold and fruity enough for me to enjoy on its own, yet complex and dry to pair nicely with some tomato sauce or a nice cut of meat.  Now that I'm typing it, I'm starting to get a craving for a nicely marinated steak!

On the shelf at just under $20 per bottle, this is a beautiful red wine from southern Italy! The iGreco Masino drinks like a better-structured California cabernet, but not as acidic and dry as the average chianti or super-tuscan.  Definitely well-made, and fit for mass-appeal!

iGreco "Masino" Nero di Calabria
TCSH Rating - 8.5/10
Aka - For the price, Southern Italy can't do much better!

Eli
Bibo Ergo Sum

No comments:

Post a Comment