Saturday, May 5, 2012

Victory Brewing Company Saison du Buff

Just released, I've been super anxious to crack a bottle of this Victory Brewing Company Saison du Buff.  This beer was first released two years ago as a collaboration brew between Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory Brewing. At the time, the beer was never released in Connecticut because of some awful hiccups in the distribution network.  This year Victory Brewing did a batch of it's own, for release during it's normal distribution network.

Just arrived this morning, I immediately set a bottle aside so that I could try one tonight.  The Saison du Buff pours a bright golden yellow color with an egg-shell white foam.  There's plenty of carbonation, but the foam never gets more than one finger thick.  While the initial carbonation fades back, there's a persistent thin film of foam throughout the entire glass of beer. There is also a ton of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass for the duration of my beer.

On the nose, there's very little hops, an unexpected surprise considering the three breweries involved in this collaboration. There's a very nice complex variety of spice on the nose, with just a touch of malts. On the palate, the Saison du Buff is relatively light-bodied, with plenty of spice, and a clean dry finish.

Despite the name, I really didn't expect a very saison-esque brew. There have been dozens of American saisons that I've tried, always falling a bit short of the Belgian versions. By definition, a Saison should be relatively light and easy to drink.  This Saison du Buff has been one of the two best American Saisons I've had to date, only competing with the Goose Island "Sofie". I like the Saison du Buff so much, that I've already emailed my salesman asking for another couple cases.  At the very least, I'll buy a whole case for myself!

Victory Brewing Company/Dogfish/Stone
Saison du Buff
TCSH - 9.5/10
Aka - Absolutely delicious!

Eli
Bibo Ergo Sum

No comments:

Post a Comment