Saturday, January 21, 2012

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe

More and more I've become a fan of the hops-heavy brews, so I thought it was time to give something like this a try.  Hailing from about 15 minutes from where I grew up, this is the Weyerbacher Brewing Double Simcoe IPA from Easton, PA.

Cork and caged bomber bottle releases a ton of thick, frothy foam atop this dark, rusty-copper-colored brew. The foam is just a touch off-white to lightly tan in color and seems to last forever.  I let the head fade a bit, give it a little swirl and it nearly over-flows the edges of my Ovila glass again! The cork is the longest cork I've ever seen in a beer bottle and even rivals that of many quality wines!

In the nose the Double Simcoe is quite fragrant with lots and lots of grapefruit, pine, and floral hop aromas.  As it warms a bit the aromas take on a much more rough and pungent side of the hops spectrum.  On the palate the Double Simcoe is a bit harsh at first. I've never claimed to be a hop-head, but this is tough for me to take right now.  I let the beer warm a little closer to room temperature and try again. There's still an insane amount of grapefruity and bitter hops but it's just a bit too rough for me.  I'll re-cork the bottle and see what Sara thinks of it tomorrow...

The next day I open it again so Sara and I can both give it a try.  Despite being re-corked and refrigerated overnight, there is still a ton of lively carbonation inside. The aromas are still a bit on the pungent side, and the palate shows the same.  Now Sara is a bit more of a hop-lover than I am and even she is having a hard time with the Double Simcoe.

Despite the fact that I've been developing a taste for the bitterness, this bottle is definitely not my style. I'm not going to give it an 'official' rating until I can grab another bottle for a second try.  I will say, that if you're a bit fan of punch-in-the-face Simcoe hops, feel free to give this a try.  For now, my jury is out.

Weyerbacher Brewing
Double Simcoe IPA

To Be Continued...

Eli
Bibo Ergo Sum

No comments:

Post a Comment