Tuesday, November 29, 2011

H.Lun "Sandbichler" Gewurztraminer

In my opinion, the Gewurztraminer is one of the most under-rated grapes in the business. I think it gets pushed to the side because people are often nervous to say the name out loud. But once you try the Gewurz a few times, you'll fall in love too.

This "Sandbichler" from H.Lun is from their best vineyard sites in Alto Adige. In this region of Italy, so close to Austria, many towns speak more Austrian than they do Italian. The wine follows suit, with this very Austrian-style white from northern Italy.

The aromas on the Sandbichler is an interesting mix of floral notes and spices. No one aspect overwhelms the others, so it's very difficult to put my finger on any specific characters.

On the palate, I'm fairly surprised by this Gewurztraminer. Many Gewurz that I've had in the past have just a bit of residual sugar. The Sandbichler is refreshingly crisp and dry. I sense just the tiniest little bit of residual sugar, but it's completely balanced by the acidity and the alcohol. At nearly 15% abv, this is a little higher than I remember many of the other Gewurz I've tried in the past.

H.Lun continues to be one of my favorite producers of Alto Adige. Ever had a Alsace white that you enjoyed?  Ever had a dry riesling that you thought was beautiful? Then the Sandbichler Gewurztraminer is something you should give a try.

H.Lun "Sandbichler" Gewurztraminer
TCSH Rating - 8/10
Aka - A delicious white everyone should try

Eli
Bibo Ergo Sum

No comments:

Post a Comment